Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Soapboxing for NOW

I'm a newcomer to Fox's 24, and while loving the plot, I can't help but notice that the writers clearly hate women. Recent stories include
  • a woman who unknowingly dates a terrorist and has "he-beats-me-because-he-loves-me" syndrome
  • a woman who goes along with her married love interest's scheme to crash the FBI computer system (the agency they both work for) merely because he says, "I love you."
  • a female agent who acts to be the emotional mess (and I mean MESS) in comparison to Jack Bauer's steely exterior after any and all action scenes.

Really 24?! This is the best you can do with your female characters? Now I'm only left with tech genius Chloe who is written as utterly sarcastic (hilarious) but nothing outside that one note. It's the old smart vs. pretty pickle. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to watch so I can decode Kiefer Sutherland's whisper-yells each week, but I don't have much hope for these lady characters (2 are already dead, go figure).

No comments: